Recipe taken from Cookie and Kate
- 1 ½ cups to 2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk or water
- 1 ½ cups frozen blueberries
- 1 ½ cup frozen bananas (I freeze my bananas in ½″ slices)
- ¼ cup almond butter
- Optional nutrition boosters: ¼ cup old-fashioned oats and/or 2 tablespoons flax seed
- 1 to 2 teaspoons maple syrup, if necessary (I usually don’t need it)
- In a blender, combine all of the ingredients.
- Blend on low until the blender gains traction, then ramp up to the highest speed as soon as possible (or if your blender has a smoothie function, that will work great). Stop to scrape down the sides or add more milk if necessary.
- Once the smoothie is completely smooth and creamy, taste it and blend in maple syrup if you’d like a sweeter smoothie. Divide the smoothie into 2 glasses. Serve immediately!
MAKE IT GLUTEN FREE: The smoothie is gluten-free without the oats. If you’re adding oats, be sure they’re certified gluten-free.
MAKE IT NUT FREE: I haven’t tried this, but you could substitute sunbutter for the almond butter, and nut-free milk (oat milk, coconut milk, etc.) or water for the almond milk.
STORAGE SUGGESTIONS: These smoothie keep well in the refrigerator, covered, for 1 to 2 days. The top layer may darken in color; scoop off that layer if you’re bothered by it.