Recipe taken and adapted from Worldly Treat
- 12-15 roselle flowers (pods removed)
- 8 cups of water
- 1/3 cup of sugar or honey
- 2 cinnamon sticks (optional)
- 1 tsp cloves (optional)
- 1 cup of pineapple chunks (optional)
- 2 fresh mint sprigs (optional)
- Rinse the roselle flowers. Remove their calyx (inner pod of seeds) by peeling off the petals.
- In a medium-size pot, bring all the ingredients mentioned above to the boil (EXCEPT the sweetener), about 15 minutes until it’s fragrant. Remove the heat and allow to steep for an hour.
- Place a strainer or cheesecloth over a pitcher, pour the mixture over it. Add sweetener and chill completely or serve over ice or frozen fruits. Enjoy!
“This delicious beverage can be enjoyed chilled or served hot as a tea. It has a piquant flavor; thus, sweeteners like honey, syrup or sugar can be used to sweeten the drink. Fresh fruits can also serve as a sweetener or flavor enhancer depending on preference.”