Recipe taken from The Mediterranean Dish
- Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 green peppers, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled, chopped
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- Pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- 6 Vine-ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce ( about 118 ml)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves (about 0.2 ounces or 5 grams)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint leaves (about 0.2 ounces or 5 grams)
- Heat 3 tbsp olive oil in a large cast iron skillet. Add the onions, green peppers, garlic, spices, pinch salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables have softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, and sugar. Simmer until the tomato mixture begins to reduce, about 10-12 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning to your liking.
- Using a wooden spoon, make 6 indentations, or “wells,” in the tomato mixture (make sure the indentations are spaced out). Gently crack an egg into each indention.
- Reduce the heat, cover the skillet, and cook on low until the egg whites are set.
- Uncover and add the fresh parsley and mint. You can add more black pepper or crushed red pepper, if you like. Serve with warm pita, challah bread, or your choice of crusty bread.