One-Year Interim Executive Director Position, with option to transition to permanent staff after 2020
Application Update: Revised job description is below. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled; interested applicants are encouraged to apply early for higher priority.
Interim Executive Director of Anathoth Community Garden and Farm
About Anathoth: Anathoth Community Garden & Farm is a 501(c)(3) non-profit ministry whose mission is healing divisions between neighbors and the land by growing food together in Cedar Grove, NC. Anathoth has sought to carry out this mission by running a sliding-scale CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) program, providing education and employment to young adult and youth interns, and fostering community through a variety of workdays and events. We believe in doing this work to promote our values of: the sacredness of all creation, health, reconciliation, nonviolence and restorative justice, reciprocity, and sharing our faith.
Under the direction and guidance of the Board of Directors, the Interim Executive Director will direct, plan, organize, staff, motivate, and manage a community garden ministry in transition and help us evaluate, based on our past experience, the best ways to carry out our mission going forward.
Duties of this position include:
- Community-building and listening – Invest in building healthy community relationships, including planning and facilitating a year of listening projects with community members and stakeholders. This work will be an important focus this year, especially holding community conversations both one-on-one and in groups, to assess Anathoth’s work in living out our mission, to envision new possibilities, and to begin creating stronger processes for community involvement and Anathoth’s accountability to our community.
- Public relations – Build community awareness of Anathoth’s mission and work and encourage collaboration with groups and individuals, through regular communications (newsletters, social media), public speaking, and through attending relevant community gatherings and other events when possible.
- Strategic planning and board communication – Work with the Board of Directors to plan and implement the programs to best fit the mission using resources available, attend board meetings, report to the board.
- Financial reporting and oversight – Prepare financial reports, maintain the operating budget of the organization, follow all applicable laws and regulations.
- Development – Work with the Board of Directors to raise the annual budget of the organization, cultivate relationships with donors, identify, write and manage grants.
- Garden management coordination – Coordinate the care of Anathoth’s garden site, including the possibility of some more limited planting and distribution of food in the 2020 growing season.
- Staff and Intern Hiring and Supervision – Hire and supervise any personnel, including any young adult and youth interns, seasonal staff, or other permanent staff hired in 2020.
Requirements of the job include:
- In-depth understanding of racial equity perspective, and experience facilitating conversations and meetings on race and equity, including in the context of food and agriculture in the United States
- Experience building trusting relationships with a diversity of individuals and organizations
- Experience facilitating participatory community meetings and events, or willingness to learn
- A four-year university degree (master’s or study in a field related to agriculture/theology a plus) or equivalent experience
- Hands-on experience running a farm or market garden
- 2 or more years of experience in a non-profit setting, Executive Director experience preferred
- Strong communication in both writing and public speaking (Spanish proficiency a plus)
- Fluency in use of Microsoft Office Suite, Google Drive, social media platforms, website maintenance, and other applications as needed
- Fundraising and grant-writing experience
Starting salary is $40,000 per year. The interim ED could transition to permanent staff if all involved determine it best for Anathoth. Position is full-time, with benefits. Anathoth Community Garden & Farm is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to an equitable work environment. People of color, women, LGBTQ+ candidates, and other candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
To apply: Please send a resume, cover letter, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your cover letter should describe why you are interested in working at Anathoth and in this Interim Executive Director role, and the experiences, gifts, and skills you bring that would make you a great fit. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled; interested applicants are encouraged to apply early for higher priority.